When talking about new, factory made electric bikes, most of us think about paying around $1000 for a basic bike that rolls well and provides you good enough electrics to get you from point A to B without failing. However, the one thing about Currie Technologies eZip Men’s Trailz bike that is almost shocking is that it only costs $500, delivered to your home. We didn’t know it was possible to get a safe bike that even rolls at this price until we stumbled upon this one. And one thing is clear: this one is a decent bike for the money, a highly recommended purchase for someone who wants to buy an electric bike but can’t afford to pay a high price.
Currie is one of the top manufacturers of e-bikes in the US, selling successfully for over 15 years. To even survive in such a competitive market, it must be doing something right.
Quick eZip Trailz feature list
- Men’s hybrid frame made with high quality steel with 7 speed Shimano drivetrain, suspension fork, comfortable saddle, mid-rise handlebars, bottle bosses, rear mounts, and fenders
- 450W DC Earth motor to power you up on both flat roads and climbing up hills with speeds of up to 15 mph
- Amazing battery life of 15-20 miles; can be doubled with an additional battery sold separately
- Pedal assisted throttle or twist ‘n’ go user selectable modes
For a price of $500 for an electric bike, you shouldn’t be expecting a lot of features. But surprisingly, it comes with the unexpected (as can be seen from Amazon). It is literally loaded with basic and advanced features that make this bike ultra-comfortable and sheer fun to ride.
Comfortable hybrid frame
The Trailz features a high quality Currie Hi-Ten Steel hybrid frame that is made for comfort and upright riding position. It includes an ultra-comfy saddle and powerful grips.
To give you a comfortable and stable ride, it includes suspension fork to smooth the bumps on the road. This makes it suitable for paved roads and light bike trails. Plus, the high quality heavy steel frame is tough and strong and makes sure your bike won’t vibrate its parts off if you take it on bumpy roads.
Not only that but the Trailz also boasts a Shimano 7 speed drivetrain with SRAM shifters, which will power you up whether you are speeding on flat roads or climbing up steep hills.
Complete with high quality alloy pull brakes plus rear rack mounts, bottle mounts and fender, the Trailz gives you a bike you can trust and rely on.
User selectable Pedal assist throttle and twist ‘n’ go
Most bikes are either available in pedelec or twist ‘n’ go but the Trailz comes with both modes, which are user selectable. If you are in the mood to exercise, you can use the pedal assist mode for up to 50% motor assistance. Or if you want to relax and commute without putting in effort, use the twist ‘n’ go mode for 50-100% motor assistance.
High quality motor with speed up to 15mph
Patented electro-drive system features a 450W DC Earth motor with 24 Volts battery pack that can give you amazing speeds up to 15mph, enough to take you up hills or rolling fast enough on flat streets. The motor also works quietly for a comfortable and peaceful ride.
Battery life of 15 to 20 miles
The Trailz features EV rated SLA type battery, rear mounted, that will give you an amazing range of 15 to 20 miles, depending on how much you use it. Plus, if you want to go longer, you can easily double the range by purchasing another battery pack that can be installed quite easily.
Reviews from Amazon
The eZip Men’s Trailz holds the number 8 position in Amazon’s top rated e-bikes. It is available at most retailers including Amazon, Walmart, Target, etc and is reliable enough not to swamp these retailers with returns. It has received a rating of 3.9 out of 5 stars on Amazon with more than 120 customer reviews to date. Being such an affordable bike, it is no wonder why it is one of the bestselling e-bikes out there that has brought many people back on a bicycle.
Pros of Currie eZip Trailz
Here is what you will like about this ride:
1. Great value. Most users buy this bike for its affordable price and decent features that make it a worthwhile purchase.
2. It gives a comfortable ride with suspension fork, easy gear shifting, comfy saddle, good brakes and thicker tires.
3. The motor is quiet enough.
4. Having both pedal assisted mode and twist ‘n’ go is a great benefit.
5. It is easy to assemble although tires and brakes might need tuning.
6. Battery is convenient to disconnect and charge.
Here is what you won’t like about this ride:
1. The quality could be improved especially of battery, battery terminals, and charger
2. Customer service is not that great and they do not reply email queries
3. Handlebars are bit uncomfortable and grips hurt your hands on longer distances
4. Steel frame is quite heavy that makes it very heavy to handle with a weight of 70 lbs
5. Battery is good for the first few times and then it loses its power after a few miles of riding.
Overall, the eZip Trailz is the best e-bike you could buy for the money. It is definitely recommended for a first e-bike with its affordable price and decent features.
However, if you have been riding an e-bike already and want a better machine that can give you more power to take you places without the battery failing, look for a more advanced one.